Home » The textile recycling revolution will arrive in 2025

The textile recycling revolution will arrive in 2025

Around 900,000 tons of clothes are discarded in Spain every year, and 88% end up in landfills, according to the report “Analysis of used clothing collection in Spain”. The other 12% goes to clothing containers and, from there, to plants that sort the garments and reuse or recycle them.

The recent Law on Waste and Contaminated Soils, in line with the European Directive, establishes that from 2025 all municipalities in Spain must selectively collect textile waste. This law prohibits the destruction of surplus textiles and prioritizes reuse, the main objective being to prepare 55% of textile waste for reuse or recycling by 2025, increasing to 60% by 2030 and 65% by 2035. This law also implies that fashion brands must manage their surplus and promote textile circularity.

These are the changes that the new recycling challenge will bring. We are facing a challenge of spectacular magnitude.

Vilarrasa is positioned as one of the few companies in the sector that has cutting and shredding machinery within the production chain. One of our objectives has always been to eliminate the concept of waste in order to recognize that everything has value. We are committed to offer innovative circular solutions to convert textile waste into new uses. Recycling and transforming them into a wide range of new recycled fibers with applications in numerous industrial sectors such as home textiles, cleaning, fashion, etc.

Our circular transformation ecosystem avoids extracting virgin materials from the earth, integrates eco-design in product development and allows products to be reincorporated into the final value chain of their life cycle, preventing them from ending up in landfills or incinerated.

We want to be your partner!

At Vilarrasa, we are committed to the sustainable management of textile waste and we want to be your partner in this mission. Together, we can close the loop, reduce waste and promote sustainable practices. Contact us and join us in this exciting journey towards a greener and cleaner future. Every little action counts.